Earth Day 2010 Video Contest
If you are experiencing an error in uploading your video, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to the Earth Day 2010 Video Contest!
To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, the Chicago Climate Action Plan (CCAP) team is launching an innovative video contest that allows middle, high school and college students in the city to develop a 90 second video that illustrates how they are participating in one or more of the 35 mitigation or adaptation strategies in the Chicago Climate Action Plan.
What is the Chicago Climate Action Plan?
The CCAP is a comprehensive and detailed strategy that outlines how the city will reduce its carbon footprint 25 percent by 2020 and 80 percent by 2050. The plan outlines five strategies:
- Energy Efficient Buildings
- Clean & Renewable Energy Sources
- Improved Transportation Options
- Reduced Waste & Industrial Pollution
Learn more about the CCAP and how you can help make a difference >
What's Your Climate Action?
There are a lot of easy actions students can take to help combat climate change, such as:
- Replace incandescent lights with compact fluorescent bulbs
- Unplug your computer, TV, and other devices when not in use
- Bring reusable bags to the store and school
- Walk, bike, or take the bus instead of driving
- Plant a tree
These are just a few. Learn more and show us how you are helping to make a difference >
How Can You Participate In The Contest?
Beginning March 26, 2010 and continuing through April 12, 2010 students can submit their videos individually or in teams. A panel of judges selected by the CCAP team, will review all video entries and announce nine winners at a celebration on April 22—Earth Day—at Daley Plaza.
Following the contest, from April 23-May 18, 2010, students can take part in the Viewer’s Choice Award and vote on their favorite of the nine winning videos. On May 22, 2010, the winner will be announced.
Read the full rules and regulations of the contest >
What Can You Win?
The winners in the Earth Day 2010 Video Contest can win:
- 1st Place: $2,000: $1,500 to the team, and a $500 gift certificate to their school from a school supply retailer.
- 2nd Place: $1,000: $750 to the team, and a $250 gift certificate to their school from a school supply retailer.
- 3rd Place: $500: $375 to the team, and a $125 gift certificate to their school from a school supply retailer
The Viewer's Choice winner will win:
The prizes were funded by a sponsorship from the Abbott Fund.
Why Are We Doing This?
On the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, we want to remind Chicago students that they have the power to create valuable and positive change within their home, school and community to help build a more sustainable future.
This initiative underscores Chicago’s environmental leadership in working to create valuable changes that reduce its carbon footprint as well as encourage its residents to adapt lifestyles that preserve and protect our planet. Together, we can make a difference.